Wednesday 25 September 2013

MY ITALIAN ADVENTURE. ROME.

I'm bbaaaccckkk!
The last two weeks have been spent in Italy (as mentioned here) which is why posts have been non existent recently BUT be prepared for a lot of photos coming your way partly to make up for silence and partly because I got snap-happy... 

I did share some photos over on Instagram while I was away if you fancy checking them out.

I travelled with one of my friends who has also just finished university and is about to start the world of work. It was kind of perfect timing and so good to fit in a bit of travelling before exciting things like booking annual leave and commitments of being an adult get in the way, hmm.

We made it to five cities in  fourteen days which meant a lot of trains and youth hostels but it was a really good way to see the country on a budget. It was also pretty exhausting (especially as our accommodation fell through on the last night so by the time I got home I'd been up for thirty five hours!). Last night I managed to sleep for nearly twelve hours straight for the first time in years so I'm pretty much recovered. Anyway, enough of unnecessary information and onto Rome.

The first time I visited Rome I went with my Mum when I was sixteen. This time we stayed in a different part of town, a little bit further away from the centre. Away from the winding streets and old squares, Rome felt a lot bigger and busier and despite going at the end of the summer, there were a lot of people. However Rome is just so impressive with a huge amount of ancient architecture and history that just appears round the corner, it's hard not to be in awe of this place. 

 THE TREVI FOUNTAIN. THIS THING IS AMAZING AND BASICALLY SQUISHED INTO A TINY SQUARE. WOW.
 INSIDE THE PANTHEON. THIS BUILDING HAS A HUGE UNSUPPORTED DOME WITH A HOLE IN THE MIDDLE SO WHEN IT RAINS A COLUMN OF WATER FALLS INTO THE ROOM! I DIDN'T WITNESS THIS BUT IT WAS SUPER IMPRESSIVE ANYWAY.
 PIAZZA NAVONA.
 ONE OF THE MANY FOUNTAINS IN ROME, FONTANA DEI QUATTRO FIUMI.
 PART OF THE SPANISH STEPS.
 CAPTURED DURING DINNER ON EVENING.
 BASILICA DI SANTA MARIA MAGGIORE, A BEAUTIFUL CHURCH ROUND THE CORNER FROM OUR HOSTEL.
 INSIDE THE VATICAN CITY MUSEUMS... SCULPTURES...
 ...FRESCOES...
 ... AND EVERY INCH OF CEILINGS DECORATED!
PONTE SANT'ANGELO.
 SOME MORE INCREDIBLE BUILDINGS.
  INSIDE ANOTHER CHURCH. THERE IS A DANGER OF BECOMING UNIMPRESSED AS ROME IS SATURATED WITH ENDLESS BUILDINGS AND DESIGN EVERYWHERE YOU TURN. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT. I TRIED TO TAKE IT ALL IN A FULLY APPRECIATE THE SKILL INVOLVED.
  THE FORUM, ANCIENT ROME. HOW IS SOME OF THIS STILL STANDING!?
 
IN TRASTEVERE, A SLIGHTLY MORE CHILLED SIDE OF ROME OVER THE RIVER.
THE COLOSEUM.

Just a snippet of a few days exploring this place. I'll be back soon with more. 
Ciao!
x

3 comments:

  1. Excited for these Italian posts! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaw, India! Your pictures of Italy are making me homesick! After the UK, Italy is my second home, see. We moved there as a family in the winter of '98 and have lived there ever since. I came back to the UK for uni and I'm now working here. I do get to jet to Italy every now and then, though! :D

    Much Love, Mary Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so great to explore, hope you get to go back soon xx

      Delete